Skip to main content

ACPHS Library Services: Frequently Asked Questions

How do I access resources off campus?

EZ Proxy is your way to access our electronic resources from off campus. When you are off campus and click on a library resource you will be asked to log in before access is permitted. Log in with your ACPHS username and password.

How do I find an article?

Citation Linker - Use when you already know the article you need. Enter the citation in the form and follow the links to full text or an interlibrary loan request form.

Journals Linker - Use when you want to see if we have a particular journal. Enter the journal title in the search form (not the article title).

Databases - Go here when you want to search for articles on a certain topic 

Subject Guide - Go here when you are not sure which databases to select and select the guide that best matches your subject

How do I find full text?

If you already know the article you need, enter as much of the citation as possible into Citation Linker. If we have to the article this tool will bring you to the full text or to a list of choices for accessing full text. If we do not have the article, you will be given the option to request the article through interlibrary loan. Clicking this link automatically fills out your request form. Click the submit button to send your request.

If you are doing research in our databases, journals, or Google Scholar look for links that say "Full Text," "Full Text @ ACPHS," or similar wording. These links will fill in the citation in Citation Linker and bring you to the page where you may access full text or request an interlibrary loan.

To access our full text online journals visit Journals Linker.

How do I find a book?

Search the Library Catalog to find books, e-books, journals, DVDs, and other materials in our collection.

Search e-books collections  for digital books that are in our collection and freely available on the Web.

Borrow directly from another library.

Search WorldCat to find find books and other materials in libraries worldwide.

Log in to ILLiad to request a book that is not in our collection.

Do the Library and Information Commons have textbooks?

As a general policy, the Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences Libraries do not purchase textbooks or add donated textbooks to the library collections.  An instructor may choose to place a personal copy of a textbook on reserve in the library for a specific course and the textbook will be returned to the instructor at the end of the course. If you’re not sure whether your professor has put your course’s textbook on reserve, search the Reserve Desk  to see what is available.

The ACPHS Bookstore provides a rental service and sells new and used textbooks. 

For a complete explanation of our textbooks policy please click here.

How do I renew library materials?

View this short tutorial on how to renew your library materials.

How do I find a reserve item?

Visit our virtual Reserve Desk and search by course instructor, number, or name. Note the location and call number and bring this information to the Services Desk. Reserve items are for in-library use only, have two-hour loan periods, and may be renewed once.

How do I get resources the Library and Information Commons don't own?

Ordering items that are not available in our library is called interlibrary loan. Library Services makes this service available to the ACPHS community without charge.

Your online system for making requests is called ILLiad.  Log in using your ACPHS usename and ID. First time users will be asked to set up an account,.

More information on interlibrary loan and ILLiad is available here.

How do I cite a source?

Guides on citing using APA, MLA, and Vancouver styles are available here

When is a librarian available to help me?

Librarians are available in Albany Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm.

A librarian is available in Vermont Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm

Evening and weekend staff are eager to assist you with certain questions and issues. If your matter requires referral to a librarian you will receive an email from a librarian on the morning of the next business day.

You may make an appointment with a librarian by clicking here.

How can I make an appointment with a librarian?

Click here for our online appointment scheduling.

What can a librarian help me with?

Librarians are available to assist you with developing research strategies for a specific project, using databases, and identifying appropriate information sources on your topic. We are also available to answer questions about citation styles, and effective, time saving web search techniques.

How do I reserve a study room?

In Albany Study Room 9 may be reserved up to one week in advance. Contact us to make your reservation.  In Vermont, visit the Services Desk in the Information Commons to check reservation options.

How long can I keep a study room?

There is a 3-hour limit per group and the room must be occupied during this time. Renewals are possible only if no other group is waiting for the room and may be requested only at the conclusion of the 3-hour loan period. Renewals may not be possible during busy times like midterms, finals, and the weeks leading up to them.

Can I use a study room by myself?

Study rooms are provided for groups of two or more individuals for the purpose of studying and meeting and are not intended for individual use. An exception may apply if a student needs to rehearse a presentation or participate in a teleconference. If you need a study room for this purpose please contact us to make advanced arrangements.

Are food and drinks allowed?

Yes. Food is limited to snack or wrapped items which are consumed individually. No group meals, fast food, or open plates of food are allowed. Drinks are limited to those in closed containers such as covered cups, soda cans, or water bottles. Our complete food and beverage policy is available here.

Can I fax something?

Yes, faxing services are available in the Albany Library. The cost to fax a document is 50 cents per page. Please ask at the Services Desk for assistance. In Vermont at the Information Commons, please ask at the Services Desk for assistance, and you will be directed to the offices where this service is available.

What other offices are in the Library Building, and how do I get to the 3rd floor?

Access to the 3rd floor is only available via the staircase or elevators outside the gym.

The Fitness Center is located in the basement.

Services and offices on the 3rd floor include:

  • Academic Learning Services
  • Advising
  • Associate Dean of Students
  • Career Services
  • DeNuzzo Center for Innovative Learning
  • Instructional Design Services
  • Registrar's Office
  • Science Assistance Center
  • Tutoring Services
  • Writing Center

Can I leave personal items while I go to class, to lunch, or to a meeting?

Do not leave personal belongings unattended. The Library and Information Commons are not responsible for any lost or stolen personal items. Immediately notify UHA Public Safety of all thefts by calling (518) 244-3177 in Albany and (603) 494-4617 in Vermont.

Is there a lost & found?

Yes, both the Library and Information Commons have a lost and found. Please inquire at the Service Desk if you think you may have lost an item.

In Albany public Safety also maintains a lost and found. To inquire about a lost item on the Albany contact the public safety office at (518) 244-3177 or or in person at their office at 84 Holland Ave., Suite B-222

Ask Us

JavaScript is required to use this feature.